Reading up a storm

The weather hasn't been the best today, so I spent most of my time indoors before having to brave the wind and rain to class. Fall is here, and I'm reminded of You've Got Mail (yet another reason to watch that movie). Oh how I'm tempted to cut my hair really short and own a quaint little book shop!

My time indoors was pleasant thanks to some books and the luxury of internet (finally!). I'm reading two books at the moment. The first one is 'It's Kind Of A Funny Story' by Ned Vizzini for a book club I'm trying out next week. Doing so really makes me miss the one in New Delhi, where I'm happy to say I made a bunch of friends. I hope to have similar feelings for the one here.

It's Kind Of A Funny Story is about a teenage boy whose depression and suicidal thoughts get him to a mental institute. As you may have guessed, the title is a quite ironic. However serious the plot may seem, the story is actually quite light. Reading it reminded me of Catcher In The Rye in the beginning (since both have narrators who don't seem to be going through a very good time in their adolescent life), but it's beginning to develop into something distinct. I still have a lot of it left, but I'll be sure to write about it once I'm done.

The second book is 'Invisible Monsters Remix' by Chuck Palahnuik. It's about a model, who finds herself horribly disfigured and mute after a terrible accident(also representing the title of the book). However, her encounter with a pre-op transexual changes her perception of things. I'd come across the book a few weeks earlier and had put it in my wish list. The other day as we browsed through the public library, I was excited to find it in stock. The unique aspect of this book is that the chapters are shuffled up. This means that you are could be reading chapter 2, but right after it you're told to jump to chapter 40! So, basically you have no visual idea of how much of the book you've read (yes, that's what I got out of it). The jumping around isn't bothering me too much, in a way it adds to the story. I've only read a few pages of this one, so can't really say whether I like it or not.

Apart from books, I'm also on the lookout for some craft projects. I have a few in mind, so the next step is to stop procrastinating and getting some supplies!

Comments

Popular Posts