As you lay dying, I kept my distance

'I know it's dying, but we probably shouldn't have visited.'

I've found my way back to documentaries on the universe, and today I saw an episode on supernovas. For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, a supernova is the massive explosion caused by the dying of a star. Supernovas are one of the most destructive phenomenons in the universe, but they also result in the evolution of galaxies, planets and life.

Fun fact: A supernova occurs in the universe every second. The largest one recorded till now took place in 2006, and the star that died was more than a hundred times the size of the Sun! We didn't notice because it was in a galaxy about 240 million light years away. That's pretty impressive, huh? Apparently our galaxy is long overdue for a supernova, and in such a scenario, we'd be in for a good sight in the sky (unless it's the Sun that's the victim, in which case we'd wish we were on a galaxy far, far away).

The universe is fascinating, and so completely humbling. If you're interested in learning about (and getting enamored by) space around us, here's what I'm watching.

Comments

Popular Posts