Bookworm Posts: The Catcher In The Rye

The Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger has been on my book wishlist for the longest time. Whenever the book came up in conversation and I mentioned how I hadn't read it, the statement was always followed by a puzzled look. So, when I was ordering some books online (yes, I have fallen into the category of people who do that, and although nothing will ever take the place of spending time at a bookshop, I do enjoy it) I was sure to purchase a copy of it.

To be painfully honest, till more than half past the book, I didn't see why people loved it so much. The book, till that point, was about a very opinionated boy who basically didn't like anything. He behaved much older than he was, tried to be a womanizer but failed and didn't have any plans for the future. What was so great about that? But I read on. And somewhere along the way, I started to really like the book. It was strange,  at one point I found the main character rather annoying and at the next I found myself relating! By the end, I wished the book was longer.

If you plan to read this book, don't hope for a fast-paced plot with a lot of twists and turns, because it will never be one. I don't know how everyone would feel reading this book, since it seems like one you'd either love or hate, but I do hope I've created some curiosity for one to give the book a try. And if you've read it already, I'd love to know what you thought of it.

Comments

  1. I started it a couple of years ago, but could never get past the first couple of chapters. I just found myself disliking the character so much and not seeing the point AT ALL. I guess I just didn't get far enough? ;) You're making me wonder if I should go back and try again. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is taught a lot in junior high school and high school in the US. And I actually think it matters a lot WHEN you read it because that's the mindset of the disgruntled, rebellious teenager. There is so much angst and uncertainty when you're growing up. You're falling in love constantly, your hormones are going crazy, you're not sure where you're going to end up going to college, who your friends are going to be, if you're ever going to get along with your parents, if you're ever going to survive these difficult years of your life. So that's why I think it resonated a lot with me because I read it during those formative, "difficult" years. Just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariam, I do suggest trying to read it once more, and if you hate the character still then put it in the 'not my kind of book' pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pia, that's very true. I really should have read it sooner (even though I liked reading it now, and can STILL relate to some of the points you mentioned, which worries me a bit but oh well...)! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Popular Posts