DIY notebook sleeve

Hello, all. I hope everyone had a fun weekend. I sure did, and you will hear about it very soon. However, before that, there is this notebook sleeve I made to talk about. My friend picked up a notebook for me from the local stationery store, only because it said 'Faith'. I have always found that to be a powerful word, not in the religious context, but in life as a whole. Its an important aspect to keep in mind to be happy, I feel. I had told her once how I'd love to get a tattoo of that word, and when she spotted the book, she immediately thought of me! So anyway, as much as I love the yellow, lined pages of the book, I've never been too fond of the cover (except for the word).

Another story which is relevant to the end result is the one of the pajamas that tore way too early in their lifespan. I figured they'd be a wonderful addition to my summer wardrobe, but that dream was snatched away before summer even arrived (cue the sad music.) So, I had with me some spare cloth with a pattern I liked, and a book that needed a cover. And voila, the idea of the notebook sleeve was born.

Items Needed: Book, cloth, needle and thread, decoration items like paper cutouts, sequins, ribbons (up to your imagination!). I initially thought of using bright pink thread, but changed my mind at the last minute.





The cloth must be a little bigger than the book and must also account for the side fold that you need to make that will hold the sleeve on the book. Once it is of the right dimensions, fold the sides slightly (a few millimeters) and stitch to make it even. Stitch the folds of the sleeve by placing the cloth inside out on the book, to get the right fit. Once you have done so for both folds, straighten the cloth and fit it on the book.

I also cut out the word 'faith' and stuck it on the sleeve. It was a way to hold on to the best part of the original cover, as well as the story behind why I had it. A noticeable hindrance in the project was the unavailability of a sewing machine as well as my lack of sewing skills, which resulted in extremely uneven, zigzag stitches. But call me an optimist, but I think it adds to the design. The project is very simple, and a great way to use cloth that may just be lying around getting bored. So, give it a shot!

Comments

  1. Perfect idea! I finally got my breast feeding medical book in and need to hide it when I'm at work studying. Will do this when I get home today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'd love to see what you make, your craft skills are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I wish I had the patience for projects like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you...It was really simple, which is why I could pull it off (not too efficient with a needle and thread, unfortunately). Give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful blog with a lot of inspiring ideas! Love your posts! Would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure. Just went through your blog, it's really good :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Popular Posts